 Administrative / General / 13124
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:51:28 GMT

I do generally prefer NNTP, but web based does have a few advantages. Here
are my pros and cons for each (not specific to LUGNET unless specified):

NNTP

Pro:
User selectable client software allows greater tuning of the interface.
My software is in charge of keeping track of subscriptions, what has and has
not been read, etc.
I can mark posts unread if I don't feel like responding to them immediately
(also back when I updated my links site, if a post had a link that I didn't
want to immediately update I could again mark it unread to be revisited
later)

Con:
(LUGNET only) authentication is a pain (however, it is technically possible
to write an NNTP client that would also be a web client, and have posting
done via the web (all hidden from the user - except for a login prompt to
acquire the login cookie)).
Not all news clients provide a trivial way to share the what has been read
and what has not been read.
(LUGNET only) FTX posts can look pretty awful in NNTP (this could be solved
by LUGNET not sharing raw FTX, or by an NNTP client being extended to
recognize FTX).

Web based

Pro:
(other than LUGNET) server based tracking of what has been read and not read
(means I can browse from ANYWHERE)
formatted posts
graphics can be inlined
no need for client software
(LUGNET) improved authentication

Con:
(LUGNET and others) no tracking of read and unread
(EZBOARD) occaisionally forgets when I've read
(not sure what software) occaisionally (especially when my laptop switches
between LAN and wireless) decides to mark everything read for me
(every web based board I've visited) no way to mark things unread
(LUGNET) I have had situations where LUGNET's font size was too small and no
apparent way to control it
formatted posts (formatting can be annoying if text can be animated, colored
unusually, font size increased to the absurd)
image or animated smileys (they can also misread smileys, for example the
following mathematical equation results in a smiley in EZBOARD: (n+8)/6)
graphics can be inlined (they can be obnoxious)
Often limited customizability of the interface

Until web boards provide a comparable capability to track read/unread posts
to NNTP, I will always prefer NNTP.

Frank