 Administrative / General / 13160
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:07:17 GMT

Tim David wrote:

One thing I don't understand, having now used NNTP (and
saved an offline cache of .trains 'just in case'!) is how
you know about things in groups you don't subscribe to?

a) You don't "subscribe" to a newsgroup, you follow it.

b) You don't.  That's the idea with not following a group.

One of the things I like doing is seeing what is going on in other
groups every so often.

Then you have to follow - or at least sporadically read - those groups.

If we imagine the - still fictive - FTX aware newsreader Steve and I are
considering, you would probably only tell it to auto-download images from the
newsgroups you're really interested in and then primarily browse the headlines
from the secondary newsgroups.

Play well,

Jacob
--