 Administrative / General / 13170
Re: admin.dev?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 01:43:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Ross Crawford wrote:

Coders are fine for trying out stuff, and coding the final
requirements, but they're not necessarily great at deciding
what is needed, or what works best for the users.

I will not claim that what you write is not true (because it probably is), but
if we're talking voluntary work, you shouldn't expect coders to code things they
can't see the point with.

It is fine with somebody trying to give orders, but don't expect the orders to
be followed - at least not because they're orders.

In a voluntary system, the coders decide what is made, and the system
administrators decide which parts of it is added to the production system. - But
hopefully (and usually) the coders and the system administrators listen to other
users of the system.

However if we can keep that to a simple system
design (sans politics), it would be good.

It seems to me that we're not very good at avoiding politics, but lets give it a
try.

Play well,

Jacob

yeah. To be honest, this sort of stuff should be left to think about after the
change in ownership. I mean, it's great to think and talk anytime - I just mean
that, because there's no urgency, we needen't stress about it right now.

-Suz