 Administrative / General / 13134
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:21:48 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Allan Johansen wrote:

You're forgetting some BIG advantages of NNTP... NNTP doesn't require huge
bloated software (be it IE or Firefox or whatever...), since it's
text-based there's little overhead (just look at all the HTML code when
looking at the source of ANY webboard) and it can be used offline.

True, but the web based interface is so much nicer.

The web interface is bandwidth-heavy and it hasn't much memory of _my_ actions.

Who ever said that an NNTP client has to be text-only?
(hey, anyone know of one that isn't?)

Gnus isn't strictly text-only.  Neither is Mozilla.  Pine is text-only.

It'd be really cool to take an open-source NNTP client and add FTX
rendering to it...

Are you in the mood to study how to add new modes to Emacs?  Or do you think it
is easier to hack something into the Mozilla renderer?

Play well,

Jacob
--
Experimental parallel cable-stayed bridge:
http://lego.jacob-sparre.dk/Transport/Broer/Skr%E5stagsbro-parallel/