 Administrative / General / 13149
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:59:27 GMT

You seem to make the same mistakes as many other people:

a) RSS and NNTP are two completely different things.
    RSS is a data format.
    NNTP is a data transport protocol.

I am not making a mistake. I am referring to use rather than the precise
definition. I am well aware that a protocol and a data format are different,
does a typical user care, however, that (s)he just downloaded a file via FTP or
HTTP?

b) Things aren't bad, just because they're old.

No. But things become less useful when less people use them.

I could be wrong about that but from
reading this tree, it seems I am not the only person who has dumped NNTP for
reading Lugnet. Doing everything via HTTP and (potentially) RSS has the
advantage that it is really unlikely to be 'antiquated' or unsupported in the
near future.

NNTP will not become unsupported until a better replacement arrives.  And it
hasn't yet.

But it will be used by a smaller and smaller percentage of users, thus making
support of it more and more obsolete. Should I release my videos on Beta because
it is a better standard than VHS?

Well, perhaps Lugnet is converting the other way around but my point still
stands. If you can convert one way, you can reverse the proccess (given a
lossless transformation which I think RSS could provide).

I am quite sure that RSS can not provide a lossless transport of the information
embedded in NNTP [1].  It is on the other hand trivial to distribute RSS using
NNTP [2].

Play well,

Jacob

[1] At least not without mistreating the format so much that ordinary RSS
aggregators would break.

[2] But it is true that there aren't that many RSS aggregators around, which
know NNTP yet.

I agree that it is quite possible RSS could not provide ALL information to NNTP
data. I am more interested in whether conversion could be made to work, not if
it can be made to work in the most complete possible way.

Yours,

Tim