 Administrative / General / 13085
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:59:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
Allan Johansen wrote:

NNTP is, to me, an outdated technology that should simply be allowed to
die out.

I've never used NNTP (hate Outlook Express and never bothered to explore other
readers (plus its blocked by the firewall at work)). However only this evening
on the train home from work I was think I should see what the fuss was, before I
read this thread.

You're forgetting some BIG advantages of NNTP... NNTP doesn't require huge
bloated software (be it IE or Firefox or whatever...), since it's
text-based there's little overhead (just look at all the HTML code when
looking at the source of ANY webboard) and it can be used offline.

But Lugnet isn't just a text medium. Do you get the images in the FTX via NNTP?
You have to open a browser to see any links anyway and for me its at least half
about the pics. And quite frankly, bloated they might be, but browsers run
quickly enough.

It is cumbersome (especially with the extra checks that Lugnet
demand before allowing user to post)

The LUGNET way is a bit of a bother (NNTP authentication would be nicer, but
would take some effort to set up) but still preferred to using a browser.
If the communication is all about text, why use a GUI?

and, quite frankly, not particularly
user-friendly.

Perhaps because it's not familiair to you? With a good NNTP client, usenet
is one of the easiest to use ways of engaging in non-realtime online
discussions.

I have to say the offline function doesn't add anything for me, my computer is
only offline for about 3/4 of an hour morning and afternoon travelling to and
from work

The only reason why I use NNTP (via Outlook) is that the Lugnet
web-interface is, I'm sorry to say, rather poor and confusing.
A vBulletin driven forum would, IMHO, be a much better choice.

I disagree, the Lugnet web interface is BY FAR the best I have used

Please NOOOOOO, those crappy things are already all over the place, serving
no purpose but to hide the content as much as possible, forcing people to
use certain "additions" (pretty much how I felt and still feel about FTX,
since it serves no purpose for me as NNTP user)

Hmm, that answers my question above! However I agree, I can manage quite well
without smileys, avatars etc.

Having spoken against NNTP (actually not more for the Lugent web interface) I'm
going to try it out, especially if someone further down-thread has suggested
some software!

Play Well
Tim