 Administrative / General / 13093
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:08:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
For those of you using newsreaders, I have a few questions. I'm curious:
what other sorts of stuff do you follow via newsreader? Anything cool? Are
there many things you've been forced to switch to viewing other ways? How
do you follow rss feeds? Is there any such thing as a good aggrigator?
What's up with projects like   nntp//rss? Like, how come it's dead in
the water?

I played around with NNTP on LUGNET a year or so ago, got it working, almost
never used it. It didn't fit into my own personal workflow.

I used to use the NNTP service but I must say I much prefer the web based
service. I find NNTP to be that little bit too primitive, sort of like email
software which can't deal with HTML mime type.

Going beyond the immediate questions you pose, it sounds like you're interested
in determining the effectiveness of different content delivery methods. NNTP is
push, while the web is pull, and we're all busy people so a push method seems
generally desirable. NNTP is the current fave of the push models, although both
email and RSS feeds of LUGNET are available - two other popular push delivery
methods.

Personally I prefer RSS, it's got a much lower bar to entry than setting up and
using an NNTP newsreader. I see RSS as being a huge potential for the future of
content sharing and distribution... it's new, it's well supported, and tools are
being created to attract wider audiences (see Mozilla Thunderbird, for example).

I think using RSS is a great idea. It should work on older technology, it gets
around workplaces which don't like NNTP and it can be fiddled with by tech-savvy
readers.

NNTP is powerful but, like some other technologies, never caught on widely to
the "masses". If the intent is to set an entry bar targeted to those with the
time and inclination to work through the setup (I'd classify them as Slashdot
regular readers - a gross oversimplification, of course)

Some of us don't like NNTP you insensitive clod ;-)

, NNTP as a core
function would be fine. If you are aiming toward a larger audience, I would
recommend the bar be lowered - RSS or email as push, and web as pull, of course.

- Kelly

Again, I have to say that RSS seems like a great idea. I have the time and
inclination to go through all the things I may be interested in but if I didn't
(or don't in the future), I would prefer to use RSS over NNTP any day.

Tim