 Administrative / General / 13099
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 20:56:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
For those of you using newsreaders, I have a few questions.I'm curious:

what other sorts of stuff do you follow via newsreader? Anything cool?
Are there many things you've been forced to switch to viewing other ways?
How do you follow rss feeds?
Is there any such thing as a good aggrigator?
What's up with projects like nntp//rss?

Thank you, thank you!

I am so happy with the responses and discussion in this thread. It's great for
me to hear all your views and to learn so much in a hurry. Some of it's over my
head. ..I'll still need to read the posts carefully, and take a few notes to
makeup a summary. Don't stop talking though!

(Actually, If any of you are feeling ambitious, I'd love a little "cheat sheet"
lowdown/summary on what we have determined and how we feel about nntp.)

I'm trying to complete a report addressed to potential new site owners that
lists our (we LUGNET users') concerns for the future. I'd like for it to include
a wishlist with suggestions. In the case of NNTP, I might have a couple bullet
points like: NNTP is priority level "X" and here are a few suggestions for
simplified support.

I'm discussing all this with you because I'm an old geek who was using the
Usenet a million years ago. I like it. And I highly doubt a re-build of LUGNET,
or a moving of its groups would support NNTP. LUGNET's unique ability leads to
my feeling of urgency.

At the beginning of my "shutdown/rebirth" discussions, a few months ago, my
initial priority list showed NNTP at the top. But when I left Boston, it dropped
off the "save-it" list entirely. The sort-order had changed, and suddenly it was
gone. I'm not happy about having to switch from a paper that was essentially
titled: "Things to beg the Heavens to save" to a new one titled: "Triage at
best"

Does it make any sense for me to set up a poll for LUGNET members? I'm thinking
not, but perhaps you have ideas I don't. What might we ask? What about a
question or two for .general?

Do -any- of you know of anyone/anything/anyplace that can help?
(Yes, that was an intentionally vague question, sorry.)

I still am curious if rss-to-nntp converters are any good. I'm guessing they're
not because the rss feeds do not come with enough info to take advantage of a
typical newsreader's more powerful features. Am I correct? Anyone tried it? I
admit, I have not.

Please pardon my ignorance.. I should read up on this stuff, but.. I'm so short
on time here.

Is there any such thing as a beefy rss feed? What if someone were to provide,
say, in addition to a standard rss feed, a deviation [gasp] which sneakilly
contained extra stuff specifically for an rss-to-nntp converter to use? that is,
to fool a newsreader into recognizing rss as fullblown news. Hmm, sounds like a
dumb idea now that I say it, considering how different the two are..

Hee-hee ...now I'm imagining silly names for such a bastard feed. [in voice of a
distinguished gentleman AFOL] "Why, yes, I subscribe to LUGNET groups via
snurp!" (^^)  That sounds like a Todd-ism. How about ...psst? ...strn? ..sprts!
Yes! lol. "My news comes to me in SPuRTS."

okay. Too much coffee. (^_^)

-Suz (trying to keep a sense of humor)
I'll cross post this to my blog over at: http://lugnet.livejournal.com/