 Administrative / General / 13138
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:46:06 GMT

Suzanne Rich Green wrote:

For those of you using newsreaders, I have a few questions. I'm curious: what other sorts of stuff do you follow via newsreader?

I don't follow Lugnet through a newsreader (not since the port change).  The
combination of the annoying e-mail-based authentication, figuring out how to
reconfigure my newsreader for the non-standard port, and my general annoyance
with having to subscribe to newsgroups on several different servers, meant that
I switched to follow Lugnet through the web interface.

This also means that I only follow Lugnet very sporadically since the web
interface a) doesn't push the news and b) isn't integrated in my general
newsreading.

But I do read news from the national British, Danish and Faroese radios via my
newsreader.  A friend and I have set up a RSS/HTTP to plain-text/NNTP feed for
these (and a few other) news sources.

I discuss programming and comics in Usenet newsgroups.

And I follow the internal PNX (Private News Exchange - http://pnx.dk/)
newsgroups.

There are also the SSLUG (Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group) newsgroups.

And I read all that from my own private NNTP server.

Anything cool?

The RSS/HTTP to plain-text/NNTP feeds are a bit special, but except for that it
is just plain NNTP.

In the long run, I hope to get around to experiment with RSS/NNTP and
distributed, collaborative rating, filtering and annotation of web pages.

Are there many things you've been forced to switch to viewing other ways?

No.  Generally I transfer more and more (of NNTP friendly) information to NNTP.
Lugnet is the only exception to that rule, and I have seriously considered to
put some kind of hack together, to allow me to participate on Lugnet via my own
NNTP server.

How do you follow rss feeds?

Primarily through conversions to plain-text/NNTP, but it happens that I start a
dedicated RSS/HTTP client (once every two or three months).

Is there any such thing as a good aggrigator?

I hope so, but I haven't found it yet. - If anybody is interested in my wishlist
for a good RSS aggregator, just let me know.

What's up with projects like nntp//rss? Like,
how come it's dead in the water?

I don't know.  Maybe because the conversion is so simple that there's no need to
install a JVM to do the job?  Maybe because people prefer to only have one NNTP
server running on their machine  Our feeds are handled by Python and Bash
programs, and are actually quite simple, so the explanation may be that
nntp//rss is simply too complicated a tool for the task.

Play well,

Jacob
--
Sal Colibri (from Roger Leloup's "Yoko Tsuno"):
          http://lego.jacob-sparre.dk/Transport/Fly/Colibri/