 Administrative / General / 13167
Re: admin.dev? [Was: Dear NNTP users]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 01:43:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Magno wrote:
Suz wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Timothy Gould wrote:

IMHO the best option would be to have the team led (in the very loosest of
terms) by someone with a user design background (or failing that level of
expertise, and sort of design).[...]

Any takers???

Oooo! Me! Me! [shouting and waving]  ;-)

-Suz

Anyone....

Anyone... (else)

lol. yeah, well, I -do- miss that job, ya know? I haven't gotten to see any real
improvements since years ago. back when LUGNET was fun.

Hmm ..trying to remember what the last thing was. I guess it was the adding of
the 'active threads in..' box.

Too bad that it only partly solved the perception issue I had (of conversational
blindspots). ...and now I'm not so sure I should've had Todd tear off all the
're:' junk from the subjects. I was trying to simplify it as much as possible,
and be economical with that space (for 800x600). but, I think I took away too
much information. Once I started using it, I realized that it's confusing for
the user that the text indicates the name of a thread, yet the link may take
them to a post with a different name. Even if the name might be only slightly
different, it's enough to cause me to disregard it some times. There are no
other navigational devices in the web interface that use "name of thread". Could
have been better w/just a second line.. oh well.

There are already like eight million old design recomendations I've documented -
Someone else can take over. It's just that, mentally, I need to learn to let
go... That will not be easy for me. The new people will probably throw away all
my ideas and fixes. Then, when I visit as an AFOL, I'll see my baby being
"tampered with". heh.

I hope they add a spell-checker to the web interface.

-Suz