 Administrative / General / 13097
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:16:29 GMT

AT@ wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

I used to use the NNTP service but I must say I much prefer the web based
service. I find NNTP to be that little bit too primitive, sort of like
email software which can't deal with HTML mime type.

As no email software SHOULD, but let's discuss THAT topic somewhere else ;)
(email which is purely HTML goes to my /dev/null , makes for a saner day)

I think using RSS is a great idea. It should work on older technology, it
gets around workplaces which don't like NNTP and it can be fiddled with by
tech-savvy readers.

RSS is nice, but how would you replace the offline behaviour of NNTP and how
would you handle threaded discussions?

Again, I have to say that RSS seems like a great idea. I have the time and
inclination to go through all the things I may be interested in but if I
didn't (or don't in the future), I would prefer to use RSS over NNTP any
day.

RSS has other issues (badly configured clients can easily drive the data
traffic up bigtime for instance)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/