 Administrative / General / 13084
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:37:44 GMT

Allan Johansen wrote:

NNTP is, to me, an outdated technology that should simply be allowed to
die out.

You're forgetting some BIG advantages of NNTP... NNTP doesn't require huge
bloated software (be it IE or Firefox or whatever...), since it's
text-based there's little overhead (just look at all the HTML code when
looking at the source of ANY webboard) and it can be used offline.

It is cumbersome (especially with the extra checks that Lugnet
demand before allowing user to post)

The LUGNET way is a bit of a bother (NNTP authentication would be nicer, but
would take some effort to set up) but still preferred to using a browser.
If the communication is all about text, why use a GUI?

and, quite frankly, not particularly
user-friendly.

Perhaps because it's not familiair to you? With a good NNTP client, usenet
is one of the easiest to use ways of engaging in non-realtime online
discussions.

The only reason why I use NNTP (via Outlook) is that the Lugnet
web-interface is, I'm sorry to say, rather poor and confusing.
A vBulletin driven forum would, IMHO, be a much better choice.

Please NOOOOOO, those crappy things are already all over the place, serving
no purpose but to hide the content as much as possible, forcing people to
use certain "additions" (pretty much how I felt and still feel about FTX,
since it serves no purpose for me as NNTP user)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/