 Administrative / General / 13145
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:02:35 GMT

--SNIP--

You can convert RSS-feeds (independently of their transport protocols) to plain
text and post them to an appropriate newsgroup.  But you can't (as far as I can
see) run a threaded discussion using RSS.  What we do is that we get some
external RSS feeds (news from BBC, DR and ÚF) and then discuss them directly in
the newsgroups.  The downside to that approach is that even when there
occasionally is a feedback/discussion page for the news item, our discussion
will not automatically end up there.

--SNIP--

I think you could run a threaded discussion running RSS. If you look at the RSS
2.0 specifications there is a tag <category> which could be used to categorise
each post as a subcategory of its parent. It's not as elegant as a true nested
structure but would maintain compatibility with the RSS specs.

You could then have an RSS to newsgroup converter (either by proxy or internally
or even externally to sit on the users computer) which would pass the
information into the correct NNTP transfer and newsgroup data formats. Note, I
don't know anything about how newsgroups work but if you can convert whats on
Lugnet to work with them, you must be able to convert other things.

This would also have the advantage that someone using an RSS aggregator could
choose a single message and follow its daughters.

It would also mean that coding could be kept quite separate, with all internal
information passed around as RSS and merely converted by different software
packages into a useful form. Thus, for example, if not many people wanted to use
Newgroups, they might have to write their own converter, but once done it would
just slot on nicely to the existing work.

Just some more thoughts,

Tim