 Administrative / General / 13150
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:32:21 GMT

Johannes Koehler wrote:

But I will never understand in which way NNTP
can possibly be better for discussions about a
picture-dependent hobby like LEGO.

If I want to see the pictures I just kick their URL's off to my image viewer.
If I don't, I don't have to wait for them to arrive.

I want to see the pics of the MOCs!

So do I.  But not af all the MOCs.

I want to see them NOW, right while reading the
story or description belonging to these pics.

That requires a rather fat pipe-line.  With a 56 kbit/s
modem line that's sort of out of the question to do for
all the threads on Lugnet unless I get a quite intelligent
client (like a NNTP client).

A NNTP client which supported FTX and RSS would be nice.
But I would certainly want to be able to tell it which
threads should be downloaded and shown, and which threads
shouldn't.

So what's the big advantage in the ability of reading the stories
offline if I am not able to look at the pictures at the same time?

That may not seem like much fun, but what I do in that
case is that I queue the URLs which seem interesting and
have them downloaded the next time I'm online.  But
you're right that it would be nice if my NNTP client could
do that automatically based on some rules I have given it
(or trained it with).

I disagree, the Lugnet web interface is BY FAR the best I have used

Yep.

No doubt there.

Play well,

Jacob (who starts thinking that maybe his summer holiday
       project ought to be a NNTP client and not a CMS)
--
Bregnerod (a LEGO town):
            http://lego.jacob-sparre.dk/Milj%F8er/Bregnerod/