 Administrative / General / 13115
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:23:57 GMT

Allan Johansen wrote:

True, but the web based interface is so much nicer.

Nice != Useful

Because a GUI makes it much easier to communicate with other users. Also,
a GUI can contain pictures, something that text-based GUI's (like Outlooks
NNTP client) cannot. Instead of having to click every link in every post,
it would be nice if the pictures were inline.

I don't WANT pictures, unless I explicitly click on them to be opened. And
with me probably a lot of others. Some of us are sometimes still on dial-up
you know.... (in the field, on holiday, or just no affordable broadband
available)

A GUI interface is much easier to learn than a text-based one. I, for one,
still have huge problems finding this particularly group via Lugnets web
interface. A proper forum interface would simplify things - especially for
new users like me.

And would stress out the both a lot more, would most likely introduce much
more security issues (the most famous webboard package phpBB gets updates
for security related issues almost weekly it seems, and despite that MANY
forums still get hacked)

Also, NNTP requires configuration, logging in and so on. Forums do not.

Logging in? NNTP doesn't right now (instead it uses confirmation of a
posting, and authentication would be better, but that would be a one-time
configuration option) Don't webboards use logins? And if you are paranoid
and regularly clean your cookies folder you need to re-login afterwards. So
hardly an argument there.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/