 Administrative / General / 13087
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:17:26 GMT

Tim David wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

You're forgetting some BIG advantages of NNTP... NNTP doesn't require
huge bloated software (be it IE or Firefox or whatever...), since it's
text-based there's little overhead (just look at all the HTML code when
looking at the source of ANY webboard) and it can be used offline.

But Lugnet isn't just a text medium. Do you get the images in the FTX via
NNTP? You have to open a browser to see any links anyway and for me its at
least half about the pics. And quite frankly, bloated they might be, but
browsers run quickly enough.

These days, I use almost only the discussion groups of LUGNET, which I still
access using NNTP, so to me it's pretty much text only. I don't see any
images no, but I don't mind. If it's described well and sounds cool, I'll
cut'n'paste the URL and look at the pics later.

Having spoken against NNTP (actually not more for the Lugent web
interface) I'm going to try it out, especially if someone further
down-thread has suggested some software!

Try Agent, which as far as Windows goes is the best newsreader.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/