 Administrative / General / 13154
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:50:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
Ross Crawford wrote:

Ummmmmm well that's not really fair - phpBB has had 6 updates over the 6
months I've been running it

Looking at the phpBB website all 6 had security fixes, although not all
"critical"

A quick scan through the vbulletin boards reveals 5 releases in the same time
frame, all of which had security issues, one marked critical. I think that's
comparable to phpBB's record, don't you? But we should not be discussing the
relative merits of these boards here :)

If you're gonna put security forward as an argument against web
interfaces, at least get your facts straight :)

Just using it as an example of what is common these days, and IMHO the fact
that there are so many issues with the most used tool should mean that we
should at least VERY carefully study our options before going along with
adopting such a web interface instead of upgrading the current system.

I agree, security is an issue with all these interfaces. And probably with the
current LUGNET (web) interface too. But using NNTP for transport does not fix
that problem - IIRC there have been many NNTP server vulnerabilities in the
past, and creating a new client is not gonna help.

I would also point out that it is the most used tool that generally gets tested
more often for vulnerabilities. We need to take so many things into account if
we decide to choose an entirely new interface!

ROSCO