 Administrative / General / 13153
Re: Dear NNTP users,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:32:21 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

Ummmmmm well that's not really fair - phpBB has had 6 updates over the 6
months I've been running it

Looking at the phpBB website all 6 had security fixes, although not all
"critical"

, and only 2 were for major security issues.
And most of the exploits are because the site didn't keep up-to-date with
the latest updates, or they run other software on the site that was
exploited. I'd much rather use software that gets regular security updates
when exploits are found, than one which only gets an update every 6
months.

If nothing happens within those 6 months... phpBB just has a very bad track
record with regard to their code quality, compared to infoPoP, vBulletin
and such.

If you're gonna put security forward as an argument against web
interfaces, at least get your facts straight :)

Just using it as an example of what is common these days, and IMHO the fact
that there are so many issues with the most used tool should mean that we
should at least VERY carefully study our options before going along with
adopting such a web interface instead of upgrading the current system.

(sorry for the delay, currently on holiday with poor net access, which in
itself is both a curse and a blessing ;) )
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/