 Off-Topic / Fun / 306
Re: US Road System (was Re: Ldraw cannon)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 01:39:23 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

Once upon a time, Paulo Caparica Junior <paulocjunior@hotmail.com>
wrote:

De Bengel wrote:

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998 17:26:16 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)

wrote:
Yes well how about:

1558 Mass Ave #41

Could have been worse: 1558  51st St. #41

One thing that drives me crazy at USA is the street with a 0 in the
midle, things like

1558 N 51st St. #41

And of course there is:

1558 S 51st St. #41

Some towns really have fun with this.  In one place I lived, all roads

are numbered (not named).  Roads which run East-West are called
streets.  Roads which run North-South are called avenues.  The
numbering system starts with 1 at a central point, and the numbers
increase in every direction.  So there are possibly four different
roads with the same number:

44th Street North
44th Street South
44th Avenue West
44th Avenue East

To make it even worse, since the house numbers also increase in both
directions, the *other* cardinal direction must be included in a
complete address:

4444 East 44th Street North
4444 West 44th Street North
etc., etc.

Of course, this is just a verbose way of coding ordered pairs of
cartesian coordinates.  But it seems ugly and confusing.

Steve

Living there would drive me crazy for sure! I remember that in Atlanta
,where all the streets are called peachtree. There are one of the
peachtrees lane, street, road, whatever that E and W where parallel
streets
a block away from each other.  Of course I had a map, be it take some
time
for me to search for the other street.

Paulo