 Off-Topic / Debate / 131
Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 05:51:13 GMT

<366DDFEB.DF57435D@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> <slrn76s42j.1so.cjc@VADER.NS.UTK.EDU>

Mike Stanley wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:

Like me and Rachael giving money to the Knox Area Rescue Ministry, or
the rare occasions when I have given money to street people.  Probably
stupid of me (the latter anyway), and I'm not normally taken in by pan
handlers, having gone to school in downtown Nashville with quite a few
of them, but somehow, those few times, it seemed right.

If you donate money of your own free will, to a cause that you believe
is worthy, because it helps people that deserve to be helped, is it a
sacrifice? What if you gave so much money that you couldn't buy a Lego
set you dearly wanted to get?

I have given 5 gallons of blood so far in my lifetime. Sometimes I
fainted while I was doing it. Sometimes I had to miss work without pay
to do it. Was that a sacrifice? Why or why not?

If the US ever gets attacked by an evil empire bent on enslaving us the
way the USSR was threatening to, I will volunteer to put my life on the
line to help defend it (even if it is a flawed country, it's the best
hope of mankind now that the ChiComs took Hong Kong back from the
Brits). If I get killed, was that a sacrifice? Why or why not?

The answer in all cases is no. No sacrifice.

To those following along:

When you can reason from property rights and the rights of people to
make choices and suffer the consequences, that is, when you reason from
my first principles, and you get that answer, you're starting to take
the blinders off. Keep thinking.

In particular, think about your motives for giving. Do you give because
the recepient is a good person who had some bad luck and probably would
bounce back anyway, or do you give because you feel guilty that you have
more than they do? Do you give because the person is virtuous, or
because the person is wicked? It's only a sacrifice to give when you
know that helping is morally wrong. It's only a sacrifice when the gift
won't be valued by the recepient.

I won't sacrifice. I am not my brother's keeper. I reject "to each
according to his need". End of story.

<Mike said: how about them Vols?>

Dunno, I don't follow football (well, I did notice that the Broncos seem
to be undefeated, but being in Denver makes that hard to miss).

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.