 Off-Topic / Debate / 115
Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 04:43:50 GMT

Jesse Long wrote in message ...
Obviously, the MW for teenagers needs to be abolished.  But, while I don't
like the MW, I have no doubt that Man's greed would have companies paying
pittance levels in a bad economy, which would only make things worse

I dunno - it produced the French Revolution, which was not all bad.

(capitalists still haven't figured out that you have to pay your workers
good money so they can buy all your products.  This  was part of Marx's and
later Lenin's arguments.

Also a strong point of that extreme radical, Henry Ford. This was mentioned
in
the Time magazine issue on business leaders, if you're interested. He
beleived
in paying enough that his workers could afford the product.

In NZ it has resulted in kids being fired when they get old enough for
the minimum wage to bite. "happy birthday kid, now get lost".

I could never be a libertarian because 1) I have no faith in Man's ability
to care about each other and 2) I have no faith in Man's ability to • consider
the common good without being forced by government.

For example, the many US laws that only work if the population is sensible -
your excessive right to have lawsuits decided by juries is one example. And
the theory that companies will care for the environment because they're
there
for the long term. Which fails because stripping pays more, and the owners
can always move on. So the caring ones usually get driven out or forced to
change. Look at nuclear power plants, for instance.

Moz