 Off-Topic / Debate / 121
Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:47:27 GMT

I have to agree with Jesse on this one point.

Jesse Long wrote in message ...
Survival means taking what you need and leaving others behind.  Dog eat • dog.
Pretend to support the Golden Rule, but break it if you're not going to get
caught.

Biologically, (and I don't think humans have transcended their roots yet)
cooperation is *only* undertaken when the end results benefit the
individuals involved.  An individual cooperates not because it helps others,
but because the help will be returned.  If the cooperation is not
reciprocal, then someone is gaining and someone is loosing.  Do this in an
evolutionary landscape and you are destined for obscurity.

I follow and support laws not because I am a good person, but because if
there are no laws, I am at a higher probability of being taken advantage of.

An individual who supports and follows laws can be *labeled* "a good
person", but being good is *not* the impetus for the behaviour.

Following the law costs me, (I can't bonk my neighbor on the head and take
is house), but the benefit is that I am less likely to be bonked on the head
myself.  If an entire neighborhood agrees not to bonk and steal houses then
they all benefit.  If they band together as a group to stop others they
benefit again.

LINC