 Off-Topic / Debate / 130
Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 04:59:20 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:
Not trying to suggest that these two examples are even remotely
similar,

Oh, but they are. There is a direct link between thinking that it's OK
to ask/force someone else to support you, or someone else who's not
deserving, and thinking it's OK to cheat a store out of what is rightly
theirs.

Well, maybe I didn't make myself clear.  I don't care for people
telling me that I need to sacrifice for others, but what I was talking
about, I think anyway, was someone choosing to do it of his own
accord.

Like me and Rachael giving money to the Knox Area Rescue Ministry, or
the rare occasions when I have given money to street people.  Probably
stupid of me (the latter anyway), and I'm not normally taken in by pan
handlers, having gone to school in downtown Nashville with quite a few
of them, but somehow, those few times, it seemed right.

But no, I don't think I'm my brother's keeper.  A good thing for him,
too, because if I were he'd still be black and blue for some of the
stupid stunts I let him go through with because I knew he had to learn
on his own.

I don't think we're disagreeing about anything, come to think of it.

But we are far afield of the original thread. And I can get along with
people that believe in self sacrifice, as long as I'm not the self
they're sacrificing.

Oh, who cares about threads?

Now, how about the NBA?  I hear the players are doing some kind of
pay-per-view for charity but also to benefit some of the poor,
financially strapped lesser-paid players.  You know, the ones who only
make 200-300k per year.  Gotta feel sorry for them.  :)

Or how about Tennessee this year?  National Champs, or will they choke
at the last instant in the Fiesta Bowl?

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide