 Off-Topic / Fun / 291
Re: US Road System (was Re: Ldraw cannon)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:14:15 GMT

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:46:42 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

Some towns really have fun with this.  In one place I lived, all roads
are numbered (not named). • <snip>
Of course, this is just a verbose way of coding ordered pairs of
cartesian coordinates.  But it seems ugly and confusing.

In a town in Holland (Zoetermeer), they made a new part where all the
roads are color-coded. You have a blue quadrant, a red quadrant, etc.
So the road between the blue and red is called the 'blue-red street'.
And within the green quadrant you have the (I made these up, for I
don't know the english equivalents) moss-green street, the basil-green
street, etc. I never knew there were so many names for different
shades of red/blue/yellow/green. Not all that practical, but I'm sure
it looked cute on the proposal.

The street I really like is in Utrecht, the one that the university is
on, called (loose translation) 'The road to wisdom'

____
|oooo| Cheers,
|oooo| Wouter van Wageningen
¯¯¯¯