 Off-Topic / Debate / 129
Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 02:26:51 GMT

<366C8C88.9640F50F@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> <slrn76qr20.1j0.cjc@VADER.NS.UTK.EDU>

Mike Stanley wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:

Not trying to suggest that these two examples are even remotely
similar,

Oh, but they are. There is a direct link between thinking that it's OK
to ask/force someone else to support you, or someone else who's not
deserving, and thinking it's OK to cheat a store out of what is rightly
theirs.

Either you respect property rights, or you don't. You can't only sort of
respect them.

but do you see this "self-sacrifice" flaw as being an
essentially wrong thing or just a misguided thing?  I guess that would
depend on how much power the person who was flawed had to inflict that
flawed view on others...

Essentially wrong. But the power of the drumbeat preaching self
sacrifice is strong, so I can't get too upset with people not knowing
better. It's when they try to argue for it that I try to stop arguing
because we have no basis of agreement.

But we are far afield of the original thread. And I can get along with
people that believe in self sacrifice, as long as I'm not the self
they're sacrificing.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.