 Off-Topic / Debate / 119
Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 20:55:45 GMT

I happen to know someone who seems to hold these beliefs.  I once had
to hear him whine and complain about how our employer had to pay him
more because he was behind in his bills and would never catch up and
be able to buy a house if they didn't pay him what he (thought) he
deserved.

Doesn't it make you just laugh, when you see examples of such people
used on news programs concerning poverty, advocacy for minimum wage, etc.
Fine, they maybe on low/lower-income, have families to support, whatever.
Then you see what they spend their money on, and the whole argument is
lost, as quite appreciable amounts of money are spent on non-essential,
luxury goods, barely or just outside the means that their income provides.
There was an example a few years back which springs to mind......
Both parents smoked, (smoking here is a very expensive business, GBP3.40
per 20, ~USD5!!), they had satellite television, (dish costs ~100-200,
decoder similarly, plus subscription fees of varying costs...), children
had more expensive trainers, Nintendo (or whatever the equivalent was back
then), etc. Numerous other examples of wastes of money, yet they complained
of not having enough to survive on, borrowing a little bit more each month
on their next month's pay, etc. If they stopped buying a lot of the rubbish
that
they bought each month, and changed their mind-set from "Must have it now!"
a more rational, "save up to when you can afford it," most of their
"problems"
would be eliminated.