 Off-Topic / Debate / 123
Re: Fixing the world (was Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 02:18:48 GMT

<366C4892.B09B99C3@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> <F3M8Bn.6nD@lugnet.com>

Jesse Long wrote:

I do think that people have a sense of right and wrong, and that when they
do wrong they usually know it.  But if people are good, then they should
choose to do good.  We have plenty of laws and religion to tell us what is
good and what is bad.  But people choose to do wrong things.  Even the worst
criminals have a sense of right and wrong (usually), and know they're doing
wrong.  I'm not suggesting we don't know what we do.  I'm suggesting we know
exactly what we're doing, and that makes us selfish and evil by nature.

Having a sense of right and wrong doesn't make you good.  Having a sense of
right and wrong, having the freedom to choose right or wrong, and naturally
tending toward right without societal training makes you "good."  This does
not happen.  We tend towards evil and selfishness.

No no no!! To be selfish is not evil. To be selfish (that is, to do
things that are pro-survival, to act in your own self interest) is GOOD.
You have fallen into the classic looters trap. Renounce teaching that
tells you to be selfless, for that way lies death.

Now, there IS a hierarchy of self. Just as with Maslow's needs
hierarchy, a mother who sacrifices herself to save her children is not
being selfless. She is acting under biological imperative.

But until you renounce the notion that self sacrifice, whatever the
reason, or for no reason at all, is a good thing, we have no moral basis
for discussion, since your morals are fundamentally flawed. Therefore I
suggest we stop this thread now as we will never fundamentally agree.

We are not our brother's keepers, nor should we be.

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.