 Off-Topic / Debate / 111
Re: Ldraw cannon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 01:27:48 GMT

Moz (Chris Moseley) wrote in message ...

One minor point Larry: this presumes that the employer will pay what
the job is worth, rather that the minimum required to attract staff.
I would object to that practice were I a shareholder.

That's basically the best argument for MW, because it's fairly accurate.
There are times in the economic cycle (such as in the Depression) when there
are way too few jobs, and market forces would push wages below subsistence.
Kind of like 1880s America too.  So the government went out and started MW
in order to ensure those who were working enough money.  Did that limit the
number of jobs?  In a depressed economy, probably not too many.

The problem is that there are too many politics involved in setting
subsistence level and minimum wage.  Ideally, there would be a fair way of
determining the poverty line, MW would be just above it, and
unemployment/welfare would be at or below it.  Having a minimum wages
prevents social unrest because people have a tendency to get upset if they
can work all day and still be in poverty.  Of course, having welfare above
MW is dumb too.

Obviously, the MW for teenagers needs to be abolished.  But, while I don't
like the MW, I have no doubt that Man's greed would have companies paying
pittance levels in a bad economy, which would only make things worse
(capitalists still haven't figured out that you have to pay your workers
good money so they can buy all your products.  This  was part of Marx's and
later Lenin's arguments.  Did MW save capitalism?).

I could never be a libertarian because 1) I have no faith in Man's ability
to care about each other and 2) I have no faith in Man's ability to consider
the common good without being forced by government.

Jesse

Jesse The Jolly Jingoist
Looking for answers?
Read the rec.toys.lego FAQ! http://www.multicon.de/fun/legofaq.html