 General / 50850
  Brickshelf going away???

The instruction and catalog scans have been removed. Kevin posted the following message ... "Due to the loss of our major sponsor, Instruction and Catalog scans are no longer available at Brickshelf.com. We are working to find them a new home. When (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Ah, crud. This stinks, seriously. I was going to rebuild my Black Falcon's Fortress next month, too, but I didn't download the instructions yet because I figured they'd always be there. However, I have a simple solution: Host the library via (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) What about legofan.org picking this up? Jude (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I'm trying to not go into a total panic on this. Even if we can shift everything over to Maj.com, it would be a huge hit to the community. For one, not everyone will shift everything over, either because they don't reallize that the site is (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Have you visited The Brick Factory (URL) ? You can probably find the instructions there. -Steven (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) What's the traffic for the instructions? I mean I've been running a little website for years and if you need hosting space, I'll get a somewhat large HD installed. I can't guarantee 100 percent uptime, but for the past 10 years, my little (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Brickshelf.com is not going away, at least not if I can help it. I am working with someone to rehost the instruction scans, and they will be in their new home as soon as we can get them moved and they can get the necessary permission from (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Thanks, Kevin! That message about transferring files to maj.com made it sound like the galleries were going away, too. Is there anything we can do to help? I've already donated, but would be happy to add to my donation if there's a funding (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Raised some good points. I had similar thoughts/feelings on reading the news. This is big, and it's bad. Don't forget we've already lost MOCPages (at least for the moment; I've crossed my fingers) So losing BS would be like losing a fat chunk (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) That is not necessarily true; brickshelf.com could run a simple CGI that redirects any queries to the corresponding location on maj.com. Since they seem to be running the same software and have the same URL structure, it would be pretty (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away? Or: Can we take action to prevent?

(...) Eeesh, let us hope that this is not the case. Let this only be a duck and cover drill... Lugnet, Brickshelf, MOC pages are the three points of conjunction for all LEGO interests. This would be really bad, as in a death blow to the greater (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

In lugnet.general, Joe Strout wrote: snip 8< snip 8< (...) $60/year? I Never pay that much for a domain! I can't believe people still do! Here's where I shop: (URL) There may be better deals out there. If you're looking for a deal on hosting, try (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) The web is wonderful but it ain't permanent or free. If the people who use brickshelf think so much of it (and I have always been impressed with it), then they should be willing to pay for a subscription to upload and download images. Or have (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

As a heads up, anyone in need of instructions or catalog scans can go here: The Brick Factory (URL) I have also downloaded every catalog and instructions scan from both bricksehlf and the Brick Factory. E-mail me with a request. "Steven Asbury" (...) (19 years ago, 27-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Just out of curiosity, how much data is that? Could it fit on a single DVD? David "Fuzzy" Gregory (19 years ago, 28-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: MOC Pages is OK, just down temporarily

(...) Jake said that MOC Pages is OK (URL) (see here)>; it's just that Sean Kenney is away on his honeymoon, so he can't fix the glitch that's got the site down. (19 years ago, 28-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

Yeah, I'd be interested in instruction scans on a DVD. I never slogged through Brickshelf to build a DVD, because I didn't want to chew up KL's bandwidth. (...) -- Tom Stangl *(URL) Visual FAQ home *(URL) Visual FAQ Home (19 years ago, 28-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I'd certainly be for micropayments for uploading images. I don't know how many images are uploaded each day/week/month, but at $.01 each, I should think the income might add up, yet wouldn't break anybody. It'd be nice to keep the ability to (...) (19 years ago, 28-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) maj.com probably gets more ad revenue since its audience is wider and the ads are more varied. I'm not sure why that couldn't subsidize BS though... --Bram (19 years ago, 28-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I totally agree. It appears from the spolighting of your post, others do as well... (URL) I've carried your suggestion to LEGOFan.org> Felix (19 years ago, 28-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

The total is about 1 DVD and 3 CD's, if anyone is interested, please contact me by email the lot is also downloadable at: ftp://ftp.hobby.nl/p...rick/scans Bert (URL) Stangl, VFAQman" <talonts@vfaq.com> schreef in bericht (...) (19 years ago, 28-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

Instructions: 6.5 gigs (all zip files). Some of these files also have box art. Catalogs: 1.25 gigs (all zip files) Most DVDs store 4.7 gigs. A double layer DVD (8+ gigs) would fit this all. "David "Fuzzy" Gregory" <crazylegoman@earthlink.net> wrote (...) (19 years ago, 29-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

I started downloading the instructions back in 1999. Whenever something new became available, I would download it. Slow and steady. Easy like Sunday mornin'. I doubt this bothered Kevin :) Along the way, I would replace brickshelf scans with better (...) (19 years ago, 29-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Is there a reason why the major sponsor was lost? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't The LEGO Group itself sponsoring or co-sponsoring the instruction scans? Did this loss come with any warning? (19 years ago, 30-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Agreed. I havent looked much at maj.com, but there are tonnes of other pictures than lego. Micropayments on Bricklink could be the way. But - my opinion - it should be by used storages. Some people upload _huge_ pictures of sizes of e.g. 1MB - (...) (19 years ago, 30-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I seem to be getting some decidely mixed signals. Should we be migrating our files? If Brickshelf is not going away, why tell us to go away? If uploads go away, Brickshelf becomes an archive only and is effectively dead for the future. If this (...) (19 years ago, 30-May-05, to lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Is there a way to download ALL files with folders in one single command or something like that? For example I want to download everything one user has. So that files can easily be transferred to maj.com. Thanks, Saso (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Yes I would also support a free to view, pay to upload system on Brickshelf. I don't know how much work it would take to implement this, but you could have a monthly, quarterly, and/or annual subscription fee that may give you (un)limited (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I think that this is a very important point. IMHO big images are just a waste of bandwidth (people get frustruated anyway when they realise the dimensions of the image, and hit back in disgust) as well as space. Also, delete unused accounts, (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would not be willing to pay $0.02 or even $0.01 per picture I put on Brickshelf. With that pricing scheme, I'd much sooner setup my own domain and pay for a website hosting. (...) I'd be suprised if anyone (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Hmm that's a good point. But I wasn't really trying to "weed people out" so I may have sent the wrong message! (...) Yeah that's a possibility - but the key point is that LUGNET memberships are lifetime memberships (if I remember correctly). (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) This has already happened. More and more, when people get serious about the online community, they get their own website(1). In order to keep up-to-date on MOCs, etc, I usually check four or five websites a day. -Lenny (1)= For example, (URL) (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I think the issue has always been that it just doesn't work in practice. I mean sure, I wouldn't mind paying a penny per picture, but actually having to go through both paypal AND the upload process, I dunno. It would create more of a bother. (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I agree, but for a slightly different reason. Try living where broadband simply isn't available. There are still places in the US (and other countries I'm sure) that have not yet received broadband rollout. Try clicking on one of those (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I guess the main point I'm trying to make (and not doing such a good job about it) is that we're trying to come up with ways to help pay for Brickshelf without having all of the costs coming out of the owner's pocket directly. The ideal system (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Or you could go to: (URL) Anton (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I can see some times when people will want a high-resolution version available... but for the most part, when browsing (a big purpose for Brickshelf), it's best to have an optimized image, say no bigger than 800 pixels in any dimension. There (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) That's very unfortunate, though. As Jason pointed out, it's easy enough to host your own pictures -- but there are great advantages to having them all in one place. When I want to find a good idea for making a sofa, for example, I go to (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I swore not to get into this discussion, but... I am one of the persons who fall into the catagory of someone who owns their own LEGO-related website ((URL)). I made this site when I wanted something easier to customize than MOCpages or (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Well, that's a fine policy, unless BrickShelf is going away (or going to stop accepting new pictures or whatever). Kevin still hasn't been very clear on that. But if it does, then we need to think up a new solution. Best, Joe (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) That's true, but I for one still put my pics on Brickshelf, and link there from my site. This is partly because Northstar's free web hosting has a 100MB limit, but mostly because I like the idea of people being able to also search my gallery (...) (19 years ago, 31-May-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Actually, (URL) sort of already does that, but in a much less comprehensive way. Legoswami (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

My comments for now: ALE - it is not here - (URL) idea what ALE is, I do know what a AFOL is. How about a free account with a certain amount of free pictures? That way one can have some few pictures there, and sort them if one wants to keep the (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) It's a new acronym that's being tossed around to replace 'AFOL'-- ALE = "Adult Lego Enthusiast" (...) I don't think disk space is really the issue so much as bandwidth. IIRC he filled up 2 T1's easily, which ain't cheap. People use BrickShelf (...) (19 years ago, 1-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

Ok, Lego does its own job of hosting instructions at: (URL) TLG was funding BrickShelf, I can see why they would drop this duplicate expense. My questions are: What instructions on BrickShelf are not duplicates of the TLG ones? Is TLG committed to (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) TLG's instruction database is pretty incomplete, though. For example, their themes list doesn't contain Pirates at all, and when I tested a particular Pirate set (6285, Black Seas Barracuda), they had no instructions for it. I think it's great (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) ALE is Adult Lego Enthusiast, a newer (and preferred by at least some) term over AFOL. It's easier to pronounce as an acronym, sounds less stilted when you say it in words, and is generally more accurate too. See (URL) for the thread where it (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  RE: What is ALE?

(...) I thought ALE was a particular type of alcoholic libation. I don't drink much, so I don't know the difference between, say.. Stout, Ale, Beer, etc.. Scott (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) I dare say in some cases it could possibly mean "Adult LEGO Extremist"... Scott (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I'm not sure what a Bionicle avatar is, but I do agree that bandwidth is likely the major expense. (...) Right. And, while I'm not disparaging Kevin's efforts -- Brickshelf has been a valuable service to the community for years -- its (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

ALE is Adult Lego Enthusiast, a newer (and preferred by at least some) term over AFOL. It's easier to pronounce as an acronym, sounds less stilted when you say it in words, and is generally more accurate too. See (URL) for the thread where it was (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Actually, the instructions on LEGO's website only represent recent sets. These instructions compliment those hosted on Brickshelf because of Brickshelf's self imposed rule of not accepting instruction scans from current and recent (1-2 years (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) Renaming be damned! I like old-school, old-time. (Eddie Shore!) Signed, An AFOL who builds MOCs who also may be a Curmudgeon, JOHN (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) "mock" is already a word, so I propose we pronounce it like "smoke" and "choke" ~Kevoh (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) As Joe said, I don't think the issue would be with the instructions themselves-- plus, the gallery is what generates the heaping swaths of traffic from what I understand. Not that the instructions don't generate their own heaping swath, it's (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) give this a try: (URL) About: A program used to back up your Brickshelf.com directory. Set the destination directory, enter the user ID name or the folder ID and press the get button. All the sub folders and files in the folders will be (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX) !

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) To purists, I barely qualify as an "AFOL," but even I agree that that term is preferable to "ALE." AFOL has history behind it, and its creation was organic, rather than deliberate, and it therefore has greater aesthetic appeal to me on those (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) So, you like it better because there was little thought behind it? Next you'll be saying you voted for Bush. :) (...) Some people spell it out, but even that isn't very euphonic -- unlike the other initialisms you mention, AFOL when spelled (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Interesting idea! I'll check it out tonight. You know, I was thinking that it might be smart for all of us to do some spring cleaning on our Brickshelf galleries. I'd be willing to bet that we all have some extraneous images in our galleries (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Ahem, Joe, but they were mocking your hobby choice, not your title! :-) (...) I've always preferred "lush", but "wine taster" isn't much better. (...) Don't be surprised if they still laugh:-) (...) Joe, terms like "AFOL" are "in-house", part (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

In lugnet.general, Bob Kojima wrote: Someone asked: (how can one back up one's entire gallery on BrickShelf?) (...) Wow, what a great idea and what a nice thing to do for the community. Where do you want bug reports? (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Holy moley, them's fightin' words! (...) I don't know. I can think of all kinds of abbreviations that don't snuggle into the ear all that pleasantly. The Society for Creative Anachronisms (The SCA, which sounds like ESS-YAY) is one such (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Huh-- I almost never say "fan of Lego" or "AFOL" to people who aren't in the hobby, because it just doesn't give them a good frame of reference. I think I've always said "Lego Hobbyist" because that's what people understand. Usually "fan" is (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Methinks he doth protest too much. Out with it-- that dirty little secret will eat you alive, Dave! <snip> (...) It may have been a little wily, but I categorically deny any nilly! If it ain't OT yet, I'll make it so, number 1! (FUTOTF) JOHN (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) I personally don't like it when people clean out their galleries. What you think is unimportant might be something really cool to me. I'm getting in the habit of saving pictures of stuff I like, but usually I just bookmark the link. Right now (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) I've often had to descibe myself and what I do in my class to school administrators, and I always use "Adult LEGO Fan", which I suppose would be ALF but I know you guys don't wanna be ALFs! Usually when I describe the community (especially the (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Yeah, valid points. And I'm not really talking about cleaning out good stuff, or even ugly stuff. But upon inspection of my gallery, I may discover that I have 4 photos of basically the same shot. 3 of those could go away easily. Jake --- Jake (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Schuler wrote: (snip) (...) (snip) Whenever I read "IMO" I pronounce it in my noggin as "ih-my-oh" all fluidlike, one word. Ihmyoh. The "ih" is like the beginning of "idiot", the "my" is just like the word, and the (...) (19 years ago, 2-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) OK, that was a low blow, I apologize! (...) Heh, true in that case, but that's because trains have become widely accepted as an adult hobby. LEGO has not. (...) Yes, and they'll be thinking: "This guy plays with LEGOs? Does he still live with (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) (URL) lol> I'm trying to push "neoilluminati" but it isn't taking:-( Maybe "Legoluminati"? Just trying to help. JOHN (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) It certainly is interesting following this thread..... I was a secret "AFOL/ALE" from 1980-86. No internet, no knowledge of any other adult who even cared about Lego. I was in the proverbial "Lego Closet" for all those years. Then 4 things (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) IMHO another thing that I forgot to mention that gulps down a lot of space are pictures of official LEGO sets. I have got no idea why this is REALLY neccessary , since, if you want to inventory your collection, you've already got LUGNET, AND (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) I could write: AFOL whose LEGOs are MOC'ed And my spell check gives: A fool whose legs are mocked. (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Heh. I actually bought my kids about 50 pounds of legos off eBay. This was to let them have building blocks that were not Daddy's toys, er, Star Wars "Models". But we didn't have many instructions books. My son and I figured out which sets (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Outside linking to images could be something to cut out. (...) What about a free will funds drive like Peeron did? That seemed to work out for them. Is it feasible? (...) This would definitely drop the BandWidth cost. Most internet providers (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) That's a good point. If I were to hear a child described as "into trains," I would just assume that it meant Thomas, or maybe that he liked to watch his parents' train sets. More than being "accepted" as an adult hobby, I'd guess that it's a (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Brickshelf is already set up to accept monetary contributions. Details here: (URL) may donate with Paypal or mailed payment. Kevin even gives contributors some perks: 1) No adverts are shown to any veiwers of your folders ever. No adverts are (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) That's assuming that money is the problem. I'm not convinced of that, and Kevin certainly hasn't said so. In fact, he's said very little of anything at all, except that he may stop accepting uploads at some point. Of course I am only guessing, (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) <snip> Another great and extremely useful application from Bob Kojima. I use his parts catalog program all the time. -- Thomas Main thomasmain@myrealbox.com (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Umm, excuse me? To quote from here: (URL) to the loss of our major sponsor,..." Exactly what English definition of sponsor are you using? Clark PS As for 'interest', the galleries are still online, the approvals of member's pictures are still (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Dave, I got a good chuckle out of your knucklehead comments. Very funny! Eric (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) LOL, probably won't help much against a good sharp broadsword either... ROSCO (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Let's fill in the rest, shall we? "Due to the loss of our major sponsor, Instruction and Catalog scans are no longer available at Brickshelf.com." That says absolutely nothing about the (IMHO) more important issue of user pictures on (...) (19 years ago, 3-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What is ALE?

(...) Scott, you've just pointed out why I don't care for that acronym. AFOL is fine by me! -Dave (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: What is ALE?

(...) I thought ALE was a warm place reserved for agnostics like Dave! JOHN (trying to keep up with your barbarisms, Dave!) (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: What is ALE?

(...) Why don't we use "Adult Hobbyist Of Lego" or AHOL! After all we are all AHOLs once in a while! :-p Gary Istok (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: What is ALE?

(...) That is the best yet!!!!!!! Adr. (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: What is ALE?

(...) Hey, leave my haircut out of this. Dave! (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: What is ALE?

(...) Shear thing, Dave! JOHN (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: What is ALE?

(...) ROTFLMAHOLO! Good one, Gary! :-) JOHN (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE? (was Re: Brickshelf going away???)

(...) (URL) Moke> is also already a word, its a type of open (URL) Mini> tim (19 years ago, 4-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) He has: (2 URLs) I don’t think fundrasing drives are a viable long-term option (we need somewhat reliable monthly cashflow), we certainly will not turn away impromptu sponsors!" Clark (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!

(...) Both of those are passive requests. In the same vein, I'm always interested in getting free money, but that isn't the same like saying 'I'm broke and need to get some cash. I'm going to sell my Collection to make money.' I think what Joe is (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE?

Hello! (...) I say "eta" (That's a terror organization in the Spanish Basque region.) or E-T-A (meaning "estimated time of arrival"), R-S-V-P (what the heck is it?) and U-S-A. But I say "afol" and "mock" and "burp" because: (...) Or does anybody say (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Hi JoJo! (...) Respondez Sil Vous Plait (1) HTH! ++Lar (can we pick one FUT? I think .people but what do I know?) 1 - IIRC(2)... it's French or something for "get back to me whether you are coming to my party or not because I need to know how (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE?

Hello! (...) Merci beaucoup! (...) I posted to .general because I wrote about something LEGO-related. And to .debate because it was debate-ish. (...) Yeah, thanks, I'm coming to that party! Would you pay for my taxi? (...) How do you pronounce (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Taxi OR beer, whichever's less. I guess... Assuming I have any money left after BF... Apparently some rumor got started that I'm buying rounds at Rocklands??? Gonna be hard to pull off because Nik'll be with me again this year and I don't (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Crap, there's always a catch isn't there? Rob (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) What a strange person! Acros are to save time typing, neh? So, why wouldn't one voice it out "in one's head"? Whenever I read an acro, I unsuffit. Unless a person is too important and their time too valuable to take that extra nanosecond or (...) (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) The voices in my head talk slowly, so that I can understand what they are saying... apparently yours don't, and talk so fast that you're getting garbled messages? That certainly would explain a lot! (...) Yep, that's me all right... (19 years ago, 6-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

"Steven Asbury" <stevenasbury@comcast.net> wrote in message news:IH5wt0.1nGx@lugnet.com... (...) following (...) no (...) home. When (...) maj.com. Ok, I have now used maj.com since this message appeared. But I will not use maj.com anymore, the (...) (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.general)

  Re: what is ALE?

(...) Of all the people who *could* have responded to [JOHN], I knew you would be the first (if not the only) to chime in and say that. You're becoming too easy to read. Time to change your modus operandi... Rob (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Brickshelf going away???

(...) Perhaps if Kevin included a "LEGO" category on Maj.com along with the other categories, it might be more palatable for those only interested in LEGO. JOHN (19 years ago, 7-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

I am happy to announce that the Brickshelf Instuction Library will be coming back online soon. Kevin Loch has asked us, and we agreed, to host it at Peeron.com. Since we have to write a new interface for the library, it is not ready yet to go live, (...) (19 years ago, 17-Jun-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.announce.peeron, lugnet.announce.brickshelf, lugnet.publish) !!

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) This is EXCELLENT news, and a real releif! HOORAY! Legoswami (19 years ago, 17-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) Great news! (^.^) Much thanks to Dan, Jenn, and others. -Suz (19 years ago, 17-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish, FTX)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) Great news! Thanks much! Will (does) that include the catalouge scans? Thanks and God Bless, Nathan (19 years ago, 17-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) Yes, but not immediately. (19 years ago, 17-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

Great news! Thank you Peeron. e (19 years ago, 17-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

Hello! (...) That's indeed good news. Thanks for taking that over, Peeron! Now that this matter is resolved: What's happening to the MOC galleries on BrickShelf now? Bye Jojo (19 years ago, 18-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) That is great news, I am very glad The instructions Have found a new home. (19 years ago, 18-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) And there will be much rejoicing! (19 years ago, 18-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

ok this still leaves me with.... should I move my pictures or let them stay at BS? Sonnich "Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message news:II8GxH.1KEE@lugnet.com... (...) coming (...) not (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) AFAIK, Kevin has no plans to shut down the gallery - so I would say certainly keep them there. I think people forget that the best thing about hosting pictures on BS isn't the free hosting (which is still cool), but the fact that that's the (...) (19 years ago, 19-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) I am glad to hear the good news. With Peeron becoming an even more valuable resource for the community (not that it wasn't valuable already), are there any plans for redundancy so if there were problems with Peeron (God forbid) that we would (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) Well, I assume that by "problem with Peeron" you mean a problem with Jennifer and myself :) But there are other members of the community that have access to the server, the code, and the data. So even if we were to go away, the site could (...) (19 years ago, 20-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> schreef in bericht news:II8GxH.1KEE@lugnet.com... (...) Now there's some great news! Thanks for all the efforts. Jaco (19 years ago, 21-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

It took a little bit longer than we had hoped, but the scans are now available again. We still need to add the PDF instructions, and the catalogs, but we felt that releasing what we have already would be better than waiting for everything to be (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

It took a little bit longer than we had hoped, but the scans are now available again. We still need to add the PDF instructions, and the catalogs, but we felt that releasing what we have already would be better than waiting for everything to be (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish, lugnet.announce.peeron, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general) !!

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) That's excellent Dan! You got that up & going ultra quick, thanks! I do have a query though - I couldn't find set 8040. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a PDF because it's pretty old, and I had page 13 bookmarked because of the infamous 5x9 plate :) (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) I knew I forgot to mention something! Some of the older scans were actually invalid pictures, so they didn't import cleanly. I still need to go through the ones that were rejected, and import them manually. I just found 8040, and it was one of (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) Wowsers, that rocks! Thanks! A suggestion I have is to integrate the scan lib into the search. If you want to find a particular set now, I think you have to search for the set inventory, then follow the link to the scan. Although you have pics (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

Inventories and Scans together at last. I am really glad to see that you were able to carry the torch here Dan, thank you very much. Scott (...) (19 years ago, 28-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: New home for Brickshelf Scan Library

(...) No problem at all! Ahhhhh there it is (URL) (19 years ago, 29-Jun-05, to lugnet.publish)

  Re: Brickshelf going away??? **bsbackup

(...) Does anyone know if bsbackup still works? I have used this in the past with great success and I loved it. But for some reason I can not get it to run now. But now I get "Forbidden You don't have permission to access ..." If this has been (...) (18 years ago, 12-Jan-06, to lugnet.general, FTX)