 General / 50854
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 20:42:52 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steven Asbury wrote:
   The instruction and catalog scans have been removed. Kevin posted the following message ...

“Due to the loss of our major sponsor, Instruction and Catalog scans are no longer available at Brickshelf.com. We are working to find them a new home. When we do, we will post a link here. We apologize for any inconvenience.”

I also see there is a message asking users to transfer their files to maj.com.

Kevin (or anyone), can you give us some more information? Is Brickshelf going away immediately? If so, what timetable do we have before our galleries disappear?

-Steven

I’m trying to not go into a total panic on this. Even if we can shift everything over to Maj.com, it would be a huge hit to the community. For one, not everyone will shift everything over, either because they don’t reallize that the site is dying (I personally never go to the front page of Brickshelf--my bookmark goes directly to “/cgi-bin/recent.cgi”), because they’ve either left the hobby altogether or taken a break (e.g., someone who goes away to school), or, tragically, those AFOLs like Travis Kunce or others that we’ve lost. So a large number of MOCs would be lost to the community. Even if Kevin saved the whole database, or switched it all over to Maj.com, all links would be broken! Therefore any links page, any archived post on Lugnet or some other forum, would become immediately useless.

I don’t think I’m overstating things to say that Lugnet, Peeron, Brickset, 1000Steine.de, Classic-Castle, or just about any major AFOL site could die and the community would recover. Brickshelf, OTOH, is another matter altogether. If we lost that we’d be reeling for a long time.

Is there any foundation to these fears? Is Brickshelf going away, is there anything we can do? I know that I’m always intending to send in a donation but never seem to get to it. I’m sure there are tons of other AFOLs who would similarly be willing to donate. Could we do a fund drive? Has Jake been notified? Is there anything LEGO can do? Or are they the “major sponsor” that has been lost?

Kevin? What is the story? What can we do?

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.

Bruce