 General / 50860
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 22:16:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

   I’m trying to not go into a total panic on this. Even if Kevin saved the whole database, or switched it all over to Maj.com, all links would be broken! Therefore any links page, any archived post on Lugnet or some other forum, would become immediately useless.

That is not necessarily true; brickshelf.com could run a simple CGI that redirects any queries to the corresponding location on maj.com. Since they seem to be running the same software and have the same URL structure, it would be pretty trivial to do.

But maj.com appears to be run by Brickshelf LLC. So I don’t understand why brickshelf would go down, yet maj.com stay up. The only extra expense for brickshelf, as far as I can see, would be the domain name, which is about $60/year.

To me, maj.com is a pretty poor substitute. Going there today, none of the folders shown on the first couple of recent-folders pages were LEGO. They were a bunch of junk I don’t care to wade through looking for new MOCs. The server code could be reworked a bit to give ALEs (*) their own subdomain or some such, allowing us to see only the LEGO-related pictures, but I’m not too optimistic about that happening.

I’m a software engineer, and this has me looking at it as an engineering problem... if brickshelf does go away, or stop accepting uploads, then we need to replace it with something. We want it to be something reliable, that won’t disappear years from now. That’s tough to do -- people change, big life (and death) events happen, so anything that depends on one person or a small group will ultimately fail.

Two ideas come to mind:

1. We could make an open-source project for the CGI code that runs a site, and set it up so that the code can be run on multiple sites which will mirror each other. Then we would probably get a couple of mirrors going around the world, just to give fast localized service. But then if any one site goes down, the others will take up the slack, and if (for example) there is no longer a site in the U.S., it’s virtually certain that somebody will set one up.

2. We could eschew the web entirely and make a custom (but fairly simple) peer-to-peer file sharing system, like Napster or Gnutella but just for LEGO images (and perhaps other media?). We could write it in something cross-platform like REALbasic, and again, make it open source so that it can’t die as long as at least one programmer is interested in it.

Of the two, option 1 is probably preferable, for several reasons. The open-source project could also have a central “dispatch server” with a stable domain name, which doesn’t serve any files, but merely redirects any queries to the closest mirror site. That way, we could have stable, uniform URLs linking into the gallery, even as individual servers come and go.

If this sounds like a good idea to anyone, I’d certainly participate in the development work. But of course I’d still like to hear more about the future of brickshelf.com before we start scrambling for a replacement.

Best,
- Joe

(*) ALE = Adult Lego Enthusiast, a newer term I prefer over AFOL.