 General / 50861
Re: Brickshelf going away? Or: Can we take action to prevent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 22:57:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Samarth Moray wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

I'm trying to not go into a total panic on this.  Even if we can shift
everything over to Maj.com, it would be a huge hit to the community.  For
one, not everyone will shift everything over, either because they don't
reallize that the site is dying (I personally never go to the front page of
Brickshelf--my bookmark goes directly to "/cgi-bin/recent.cgi"), because
they've either left the hobby altogether or taken a break (e.g., someone who
goes away to school), or, tragically, those AFOLs like Travis Kunce or others
that we've lost.  So a large number of MOCs would be lost to the community.
Even if Kevin saved the whole database, or switched it all over to Maj.com,
all links would be broken! Therefore any links page, any archived post on
Lugnet or some other forum, would become immediately useless.

Raised some good points. I had similar thoughts/feelings on reading the news.
This is big, and it's bad.

Don't forget we've already lost MOCPages (at least for the moment; I've crossed
my fingers) So losing BS would be like losing a fat chunk of the very essence of
the lego community. Who are we as builders without pictures of our creations?

The first thing I tell anyone who is a novice, or shows even a mild interest in
LEGO is to browse Brickshelf-- not LUGNET, since the words here are all but
meaningless to them. But pics? Everyone understands pics. I sincerely hope this
is not the end.

:`-(

Legoswami

Eeesh, let us hope that this is not the case. Let this only be a duck and cover
drill...

Lugnet, Brickshelf, MOC pages are the three points of conjunction for all LEGO
interests. This would be really bad, as in a death blow to the greater
community. I have already withdrawn my own pics and am planning to host them on
a new site of my own. Which means that my small input of creativity will only be
seen by friends who know my site. Now magnify this by a hundred for all of the
people in this community. The seperate communities I think would find ways to
carry on, but the grand community would be gone.

This is like the burning of the Library of Alexandria (sp), if this happens, it
won't be long before we all de-evolve into primitve, barbaric brick building.

I think that before we sweat any more bullets, we need to hear the full details
of what is happening, and change the subject line to something more fitting,
that is IF Brickshelf is not going away. If it is, then we need to hear how we
AFOLs (ALEs) can take action and prevent the oncoming LEGO dark ages.

We will not go silently into the night!

By the way, as a novice turning moderate, I agree with the perusing Brickshelf
-- long hours of homework done there can do wonders to one's building skills.

Let's hear some news on what is happening, and what is going to happen. We AFOLs
will rally to the cause, I'm sure.

-Avery