 General / 50859
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 21:37:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:

I'm trying to not go into a total panic on this.  Even if we can shift
everything over to Maj.com, it would be a huge hit to the community.  For
one, not everyone will shift everything over, either because they don't
reallize that the site is dying (I personally never go to the front page of
Brickshelf--my bookmark goes directly to "/cgi-bin/recent.cgi"), because
they've either left the hobby altogether or taken a break (e.g., someone who
goes away to school), or, tragically, those AFOLs like Travis Kunce or others
that we've lost.  So a large number of MOCs would be lost to the community.
Even if Kevin saved the whole database, or switched it all over to Maj.com,
all links would be broken! Therefore any links page, any archived post on
Lugnet or some other forum, would become immediately useless.

Raised some good points. I had similar thoughts/feelings on reading the news.
This is big, and it's bad.

Don't forget we've already lost MOCPages (at least for the moment; I've crossed
my fingers) So losing BS would be like losing a fat chunk of the very essence of
the lego community. Who are we as builders without pictures of our creations?

The first thing I tell anyone who is a novice, or shows even a mild interest in
LEGO is to browse Brickshelf-- not LUGNET, since the words here are all but
meaningless to them. But pics? Everyone understands pics. I sincerely hope this
is not the end.

:`-(

Legoswami