 General / 50923
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:38:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andrew Cross wrote:
Ok, Lego does its own job of hosting instructions at:
http://www.lego.com/eng/buildinginstructions/

If TLG was funding BrickShelf, I can see why they would drop this duplicate
expense.

Actually, the instructions on LEGO's website only represent recent sets.  These
instructions compliment those hosted on Brickshelf because of Brickshelf's self
imposed rule of not accepting instruction scans from current and recent (1-2
years old?) sets.  This would encourage people to actually go out and buy the
sets while they're still available.

Brickshelf was more interested in maintaining a historical archive of all LEGO
sets ever released.  Not too long ago, LEGO extended a helping hand by providing
Brickshelf with a large number of instructions in PDF format, improving the
quality of some of the scans, I guess.

My questions are:

What instructions on BrickShelf are not duplicates of the TLG ones?

I think that because of the rule mentioned above, all of the instructions at
TLG, you will not find at Brickshelf.

Is TLG committed to keeping theirs online?

I don't think TLG has a need to keep an archive of instructions on their own
servers - especially available to the public.  It's probably better left in the
hands of AFOLs/ALEs anyway.  The only reason I see why the ones that are
currently on TLG's own website are there is as a Consumer Affairs resource -
referring customers that have lost their instructions to the website instead.

Can peeron.com legally link to lego.com pdf's instead?

I don't see why not, as long as proper credit is given, and you don't d/l the
PDFs and host them on your own server.

Did someone have a BitTorrent to download these? As it is 8+ gig would it be
broken down by product year?

No I don't think any BT files have been set up for these scans...

-Bryan