 General / 50887
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 18:18:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bryan Wong wrote:
Charging users to upload (with file size limits) would do the following two
things (at least):

1) Make users think twice about uploading out of focus (or poorly taken)
pictures, or huge pictures (both in file size and dimensions).  Files that don't
meet the restrictions will be force users to resize and/or convert them.

I think that this is a very important point. IMHO big images are just a waste of
bandwidth (people get frustruated anyway when they realise the dimensions of the
image, and hit back in disgust) as well as space.
Also, delete unused accounts, after a set period of time.

I think that switching over to a pay to upload system would simply "weed out"
the not-so-serious AFOLs/ALEs.  Hopefully, it would encourage Brickshelf users

I don't think the point here is to weed people out. If some relative unknown has
a one-off cool idea he wants to share (and, I want to see), he's highly unlikely
to pay for it.

I think a system similar to the one on LUGNET would be great. (Where you can
post messages for free, but by becoming a full member you get a lot of
additional perks.) You could for example, lay down a rules that limit the size
of the picture, and are more stringent toward quality for those who are 'free'
members, and ask for a nominal fee from the rest.

to transfer/exchange more "standardized" and better quality files.  For those
that are unwilling to pay to use this service, there are other (free) hosting
services and picture hosting sites out there...

True, but I don't want to have to go through a hundred other sites to find one
cool MOC a day. A centralised place is much better.

Legoswami