 General / 50886
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 17:54:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Rick Clark wrote:
I'd certainly be for micropayments for uploading images. I don't know how many
images are uploaded each day/week/month, but at $.01 each, I should think the
income might add up, yet wouldn't break anybody.

It'd be nice to keep the ability to view images free, though, since it opens up
the building community to the rest of the world.

Yes I would also support a free to view, pay to upload system on Brickshelf.

I don't know how much work it would take to implement this, but you could have a
monthly, quarterly, and/or annual subscription fee that may give you (un)limited
uploading priveleges (ok maybe limit the total size of your files depending on
your subscription "package").  Or, users can also choose a "pay as you go"
method, maybe a few cents ($0.02?) per picture with additional restrictions.

Charging users to upload (with file size limits) would do the following two
things (at least):

1) Make users think twice about uploading out of focus (or poorly taken)
pictures, or huge pictures (both in file size and dimensions).  Files that don't
meet the restrictions will be force users to resize and/or convert them.

2) Help pay for maintaining the server, and all other associated costs.

I think that switching over to a pay to upload system would simply "weed out"
the not-so-serious AFOLs/ALEs.  Hopefully, it would encourage Brickshelf users
to transfer/exchange more "standardized" and better quality files.  For those
that are unwilling to pay to use this service, there are other (free) hosting
services and picture hosting sites out there...

-Bryan