 General / 50920
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:45:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Andrew Cross wrote:

Ok, Lego does its own job of hosting instructions at:
http://www.lego.com/eng/buildinginstructions/

If TLG was funding BrickShelf, I can see why they would drop this duplicate
expense.

TLG's instruction database is pretty incomplete, though.  For example, their
themes list doesn't contain Pirates at all, and when I tested a particular
Pirate set (6285, Black Seas Barracuda), they had no instructions for it.

I think it's great that they're providing their own instructions, but I hope
they'll make the database complete.

What instructions on BrickShelf are not duplicates of the TLG ones?

Well, at least the above.  I suspect much more.

Is TLG committed to keeping theirs online?

There will be no way to get an informed answer to this.

Still, to me, BrickShelf was never about instruction scans.  I've rarely needed
instructions for a set I don't own, and of course I keep all the instructions
for those myself.

What Brickshelf is about (IMHO) is a place to search for creations of other ALEs
by keyword, or just to browse recently added creations.  Hosting MOCs on widely
scattered servers elsewhere is not nearly as useful, because it's not searchable
(nor can you easily see what's new).

Best,
- Joe