 General / 50925
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:34:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:

I don't think disk space is really the issue so much as bandwidth. IIRC he
filled up 2 T1's easily, which ain't cheap. People use BrickShelf a LOT. And I
think the vast majority of files are things like Bionicle avatars that get hit
like mad. But since they're small, they might not soak up as proportionally
large portion of the bandwidth, I dunno.

I'm not sure what a Bionicle avatar is, but I do agree that bandwidth is likely
the major expense.

I think the issue is mostly maintenance and new code. A new payment system is
tricky, especially when dealing with "Hey, I paid, how come I have a problem"
type things that inevitably happen. Money makes it tricky. It's a fine idea in
that it's feasible and all, but first you need to find someone who's willing to
DO it :)

Right.  And, while I'm not disparaging Kevin's efforts -- Brickshelf has been a
valuable service to the community for years -- its functionality is pretty
limited, and I've never seen its behavior change.  Such major changes to the
code may simply be more than Kevin can afford to do.

Plus, if it cost money, there's always the risk of making it chase people away
who would otherwise use it. If it were a pay service, it obviously wouldn't get
used as much. I kinda like the idea of a "free basic service" with a "premium
package" or something so that it's still free, but can generate income.

Even better I think would be a truly free service, using the open-source model.
Anyone with the skills and motivation could contribute to the code -- and I
think we'd always have at least a couple dozen such folks in the ALE community.

And the bandwidth problem could be solved by not actually hosting the images on
the site, but instead, making it responsible only for the indexing and
reporting.  The actual images would go elsewhere.  Those of us who have our own
web sites could put them there; others could use any of the dozens of other
photo sites, or use a free web host, or whatever.

Such a system should scale very well, I would think, and couldn't really
disappear as long as anyone was still interested in it.

Best,
- Joe