 General / 50896
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 19:51:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ray Sanders wrote:
In lugnet.general, Samarth Moray wrote:
In lugnet.general, Bryan Wong wrote:
Charging users to upload (with file size limits) would do the following two
things (at least):

1) Make users think twice about uploading out of focus (or poorly taken)
pictures, or huge pictures (both in file size and dimensions).  Files that don't
meet the restrictions will be force users to resize and/or convert them.

I think that this is a very important point. IMHO big images are just a waste of
bandwidth (people get frustruated anyway when they realise the dimensions of the
image, and hit back in disgust) as well as space.

I agree, but for a slightly different reason. Try living where broadband simply
isn't available. There are still places in the US (and other countries I'm sure)
that have not yet received broadband rollout. Try clicking on one of those
'overly-large, not cropped, maximum resolution' images when connected via 49k
dialup. Not fun. Being on a slow connection, with a not-quite-the-fastest system
makes me appreciate smaller images much more than the average person.

I can see some times when people will want a high-resolution version
available... but for the most part, when browsing (a big purpose for
Brickshelf), it's best to have an optimized image, say no bigger than 800 pixels
in any dimension. There are several software packages available to do this on
the fly (I use ImageMagick with Ghostscript) which could save lots of bandwidth.
Having the ability to deep-link to a larger-size version would be a good
compromise. This fulfills both the casual visitor browsing, and the end user who
wants to have a big version available.

- Kelly