 General / 50897
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 21:03:21 GMT

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Samarth Moray wrote:
   True, but I don’t want to have to go through a hundred other sites to find one cool MOC a day. A centralised place is much better.

This has already happened. More and more, when people get serious about the online community, they get their own website(1). In order to keep up-to-date on MOCs, etc, I usually check four or five websites a day.

That’s very unfortunate, though. As Jason pointed out, it’s easy enough to host your own pictures -- but there are great advantages to having them all in one place. When I want to find a good idea for making a sofa, for example, I go to BrickShelf and type in “sofa” (along with “couch” and maybe “furniture” if I get desperate). That doesn’t work when people host their pics elsewhere.

Just brainstorming here, maybe what we need is a service that doesn’t actually host pictures, but indexes them. It would provide search capability as well as features like recent additions. Then people could host their pics on BrickShelf, or maj.com, or one of the dozens of other photo sites, or on their own personal site, and others could find their pics regardless.

Such a server wouldn’t have gross resource needs, either. I would advocate an open-source model, with the server code hosted someplace like SourceForge, so that if whoever’s running it loses interest, somebody else can pick it up.

Best,
- Joe