 Off-Topic / Debate / 26983
Re: what is ALE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:09:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joe Strout wrote:
   But the real problem isn’t when speaking to other ALEs (or whatever you choose to call them), but when speaking to people who aren’t into LEGO. I’ve tried this on a number of occasions since coming out of my dark ages: “I’m an adult fan of LEGO...”

Huh-- I almost never say “fan of Lego” or “AFOL” to people who aren’t in the hobby, because it just doesn’t give them a good frame of reference. I think I’ve always said “Lego Hobbyist” because that’s what people understand.

Usually “fan” is used in reference to things like sports teams, music artists, actors, etc. Something that denotes “I’m cheering for you” or “I love watching you do your thing”.

A hobbyist or enthusiast is typically *involved* in an activity, rather than a spectator. At least, that’s how I’ve come to understand the use of the word in common speak. So I usually say “hobbyist” because I think it’s a little more descriptive to the general public of what I do. IE, it’s something I’m involved with that I’m not doing “professionally”, that I do in my spare time. Essentially, I think the connatations of “Lego Hobbyist” are much more meaningful to people OUTSIDE the hobby than “Lego Fan” or “Lego Enthusiast”.

However, INSIDE the hobby is a different story. I think “fan” is something that caught on just like “Lego Maniac” sorta used to be. It might not be true (because we’re not ACTUALLY maniacs or anything), but it’s that kind of amusing slant on ourselves that exaggerates the point. Like saying “I’m just crazy enough to buy that”. Are you actually saying you’re crazy? Nah. You’re just sort of having a bit of joking fun at the notion of needing to be crazy. Poking fun at yourself. In that same way, I think “fan” took off as a descriptor within the community. Enough so as to become the ‘norm’ for how we describe ourselves.

Within the community, we reference ourselves a lot. Having a name for ourselves just makes sense-- but the actual name itself means little to me, personally. We could’ve called ourselves Fibblesnorks (the paleolithic ancestor of Fleebnorks) for all I care. To me, an “AFOL” isn’t necessarily a “fan”, or even an “adult”. It’s a person who’s ‘serious’ about the Lego hobby, insofar as they appreciate more than just the play aspects that children enjoy. A person who enjoys Lego for its modeling, utilitarian, nostalgic, or collectable value, and who isn’t likely to abandon it lightly.

Whatever we call ourselves, that’s probably the name I’ll use. For now, I think “AFOL” is still going to be the accepted norm, but if “ALE” catches on more, I might start using that. To me, the actual name means little. I’ll likely understand the name as who we really are as a community, not by the constituent words or the connotation of whatever it is we call ourselves.

DaveE