 Off-Topic / Debate / 26982
Re: what is ALE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:07:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joe Strout wrote:

   To purists, I barely qualify as an “AFOL,” but even I agree that that term is preferable to “ALE.” AFOL has history behind it, and its creation was organic, rather than deliberate, and it therefore has greater aesthetic appeal to me on those grounds alone.

So, you like it better because there was little thought behind it? Next you’ll be saying you voted for Bush. :)

Holy moley, them’s fightin’ words!

   I don’t care if either is “easier” to pronounce--no one I know “pronounces” ETA, RSVP, or USA. “AFOL” is an abbreviation, not an acronym.

Some people spell it out, but even that isn’t very euphonic -- unlike the other initialisms you mention, AFOL when spelled quickly sounds more like a word (ayafoal) than a string of letters.

I don’t know. I can think of all kinds of abbreviations that don’t snuggle into the ear all that pleasantly. The Society for Creative Anachronisms (The SCA, which sounds like ESS-YAY) is one such example. Participants in that group are called “SCAdians,” though.

   But the real problem isn’t when speaking to other ALEs (or whatever you choose to call them), but when speaking to people who aren’t into LEGO. I’ve tried this on a number of occasions since coming out of my dark ages: “I’m an adult fan of LEGO...” The result is almost always a “you’re joking, right?” sort of grin, because it sounds so ridiculously pompous. It’s like saying “I’m a drinker of wines.” It’s stilted and sounds silly. When have you ever heard a train enthusiast describe themselves as an “adult fan of trains”?

To be honest, I’ve never heard anyone describe himself as an enthusiast of any hobby. Even if he did, he wouldn’t say “I’m an adult train enthusiast,” because that sounds like he’s only into burlesque trains (which he may be, but that’s beside the point...)

If you’re really invested in the term, I’d suggest dropping “Adult” from the acronym because it serves no purpose other than compartmentalization. If you’re speaking to non-LEGO savvy listeners, chances are good that they’ll recognize you as an adult, right? And if you’re discussing it in writing, you’d have to explain the acronym the first time you use it anyway, thusly:

“Hi all, I’m an Adult Lego Enthusiast (ALE), and here’s my story. I’ve been an ALE for several years, and...”

In euphonic terms, pronouncing the word “ALE” isn’t much better or different from spelling the abbreviation “LE,” and the latter is (IMO) superior by virtue of being less arbitrarily subdivided.

   So, from now on, I’ll be introducing my passion this way: “I’m an adult LEGO enthusiast” -- “LEGO enthusiast” just like “train enthusiast,” plus “adult” since (unlike the train hobby) LEGO is still seen by most people as a toy for children. Adding “adult” defines adult LEGO enthusiasts as a group, implying that there are others, and that the speaker isn’t just having maturity issues.

Well, that’s a good explanation, but even insofar as I’ve never heard anyone self-described as an enthusiast, I’ve never heard any non-adult described as an “enthusiast” by anyone!

   IMO (also an abbreviation rather than an acronym!), to call oneself an “enthusiast” is to make oneself sound hopelessly effete and snobbish.

Nonsense; it’s a standard term -- there are train enthusiasts, wine enthusiasts, music enthusiasts and so on. If you want effete and snobbish, use “afficionado” instead. (And if you want crass, use “buff” -- enthusiast is comfortably in the middle.)

What’s wrong with “Hobbyist” as a term? We all participate in LEGO as a hobby, right? Do we all participate in LEGO as an enthusiasm? I know, it’s not a 100% precise comparison, but I think it underscores my point that “enthusiast,” though certainly part of the lexicon, just sounds tritely artificial to me. Like referring to a “Bottle Shoppe” for no particular reason.

   Laugh all you want, but I think this is a small but important part of getting the society we live in to accept and understand the LEGO hobby.

Jeez, is it as serious as all that? I couldn’t care less if society accepts or understand my involvement in the hobby. And, judging from the huge response that LEGO train shows seem to garner, society welcomes “us” as well as it welcomes any subculture of hobbyists. Even the aforementioned SCA, haven for ubergeeks of all stripes, attracts a huge crowd whenever it puts on a public demonstration.

   P.S. Is this really off-topic?

I wondered the same thing. Curse that scoundrel John Neal and his willy-nilly FUT-ing!

Dave!

FUT lugnet.general