 Off-Topic / Debate / 26984
Re: what is ALE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 22:34:59 GMT

   I don’t care if either is “easier” to pronounce--no one I know “pronounces” ETA, RSVP, or USA. “AFOL” is an abbreviation, not an acronym.

I’ve often had to descibe myself and what I do in my class to school administrators, and I always use “Adult LEGO Fan”, which I suppose would be ALF - but I know you guys don’t wanna be ALFs! Usually when I describe the community (especially the LDraw community) to others in the CAD field I use the term “Crazy LEGO People.” This seems to go over well with non-ALFs. :)

I don’t really understand why people don’t want to consider themselves “fans” or “fanatics” - if you look up the definition of the word “fanatic” I think it applies to a lot of us, me included. Maybe because it has a sports connotation and many here aren’t into sports? Whatever.. ALE has other (far stronger) connotations that I think detract from what the abbreviation is supposed to be about. I think AFOL just one of those things that’s here to stay.

BTW, LUG is also used by the Autodesk CAD Community for “Local User Group” - I haven’t bothered to correct them yet..

Darrell

ALF or, I suppose,

(Nut Brown) ALE.

mmmm... Newcastle!