 General / 50893
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 19:00:39 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Spears wrote:
   Maybe I’m in the minority, but I would not be willing to pay $0.02 or even $0.01 per picture I put on Brickshelf. With that pricing scheme, I’d much sooner setup my own domain and pay for a website hosting.

I guess the main point I’m trying to make (and not doing such a good job about it) is that we’re trying to come up with ways to help pay for Brickshelf without having all of the costs coming out of the owner’s pocket directly. The ideal system I envision would hopefully be cheaper and easier/less technical than getting a domain name & paying for website hosting.

   I’d be suprised if anyone started out as a serious ALE. When I first got into building, I’d have never paid to show pictures on Brickshelf. I just wouldn’t have shared my creations. And not sharing my creations means that I might not have grown as a builder. (Well *I* might have, as I’d probably have gotten feedback from MichLUG members, but not every person getting into the hobby has an active club near them.)

Ok, then to accomodate a wider audience, maybe one of the packages you could get from Brickshelf would be free - with a smaller storage limit and none of the “special” features obviously.

Well, I’m not Kevin so I can’t say what will be included and what won’t be, but let’s just keep tossing ideas around!

-Bryan