 General / 50937
Re: what is ALE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 04:26:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joe Strout wrote:
   Jeez, is it as serious as all that? I couldn’t care less if society accepts or understand my involvement in the hobby.

Well, suit yourself then, but I do care. Perfectly normal, grown men can play with little toy trains all day long and nobody thinks them eccentric, but tell somebody you collect and build with LEGO, and they look at you like you’re trying to recapture your youth or some such nonsense. This annoys me. No, it’s not important in the grand scheme of things, but I’ll do my bit to change it as I can. We’ll knock those “World’s Greatest Hobby” train guys off their pedestal yet!

Best,
- Joe

It certainly is interesting following this thread..... I was a secret “AFOL/ALE” from 1980-86. No internet, no knowledge of any other adult who even cared about Lego. I was in the proverbial “Lego Closet” for all those years. Then 4 things happened all within 6 months in 1986-87. Because I put a couple of my buildings in a toy store window display, I suddenly got into a metro Detroit newspaper. Then TLG sent someone over to interview me, and then I was on a Canadian TV news type show (The Journal), which was doing a special on 25 years of Lego in Canada (1987). And finally I got a call from Henry Wiencik, the author of The World Of Lego Toys who interviewed me over the phone (page 30 of the book).

Well I was sorta scared, cuz I didn’t know what most of my friends and family would think if they knew I was an AFOL!!! I had kept all of my Lego at my buddy’s house, the friend who played with Lego with me when we were 7 years old. Would I be a laughing stock at work? Would my friends think I was immature? Would my family think I was in need of therapy? I felt like I was in my own Woody Allen movie, but with Lego.

As it turned out, my angst turned to pleasure when they all thought it was way cool. I even got a call from my 6th grade school teacher saying how proud she was (I was about 30 years old at this time).

So I can really respect some people being sensitive to what others might think of them. The word “ADULT” should stay in the acronym. At least for a few more years....

Gary Istok