 General / 50991
Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:16:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joe Strout wrote:
"Due to the loss of our major sponsor, Instruction and Catalog scans are no
longer available at Brickshelf.com."

That says absolutely nothing about the (IMHO) more important issue of user
pictures on Brickshelf, which I consider its primary purpose.  The
instructions and catalog scans are available elsewhere, and could pretty
easily be re-hosted someplace new if necessary.

The crisis at hand is whether Brickshelf itself is going away, or is going
to be frozen (not accepting new uploads), as Kevin said might be the case.
And despite numerous calls here in the last week along the lines of "Let's
have a funding drive," Kevin has utterly failed to say anything like "Yes,
that would help, thank you very much."

If money were the primary problem (with keeping Brickshelf alive for
user-contributed content), I'd think he would have spoken up by now.

Best,
- Joe

He has:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/brickshelf/?n=125

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=46097

"While I don’t think fundrasing drives are a viable long-term option (we need
somewhat reliable monthly cashflow), we certainly will not turn away impromptu
sponsors!"

Clark