 General / 50993
Re: Supporting Brickshelf so it doesn't go away!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:00:35 GMT

In lugnet.general, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.general, Joe Strout wrote:
If money were the primary problem (with keeping Brickshelf alive for
user-contributed content), I'd think he would have spoken up by now.

Best,
- Joe

He has:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/brickshelf/?n=125

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=46097

"While I don’t think fundrasing drives are a viable long-term option (we need
somewhat reliable monthly cashflow), we certainly will not turn away impromptu
sponsors!"

Clark

Both of those are passive requests.  In the same vein, I'm always interested in
getting free money, but that isn't the same like saying 'I'm broke and need to
get some cash.  I'm going to sell my Collection to make money.' I think what Joe
is looking for is for Brickshelf and Kevin to explicitly state that they need
help to raise the money and provide BrickShelf with regular income.

Right now I can buy a Brickshelf membership, but the only benefit is that I
don't have to look at ads while browsing if I am signed in.  I must sign in
every time I visit Brickshelf, rather than saving my signed-in status like most
sites do these days.  Also, membership must be renewed in January.  Right now, I
could pay $20 for a yearly membership, and only get 6 months of service.

Not that I don't think Brickshelf is a worthy cause as-is, but if benefits
aren't more substantial, it will remain a pure charity case.

-Lenny