 General / 46097
Re: Oh No! BrickShelf is now ad-supported?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:05:56 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Mike Thorn wrote:
   Hey all,

Just popped on to BrickShelf to look at Adam Skelding’s mosaic and noticed Google Ads in the footer! It appears to me like BrickShelf is finally consuming so much of everything that it’s costing Kevin more than he can singly afford, thus the ads.

Brickshelf outgrew my personal ability to support it several years ago. Since then the LEGO Group has generously provided financial support. Without that support there would be no way to keep Brickshelf online.

However, we are under a mandate to become self-sufficient by 2005. Text based ads are one small part of our attempt to do that.

   Now, I don’t mind Google Ads as much as others, since you don’t get inappropriate ads unless you’re on an inappropriate site, but it is my personal opinion that this is not right.

Google ads are highly targeted, family safe and easy to implement. They are also not annoying banner images, and I think they actually enhance the site.

   So Kevin, *please* will you let us contribute something to the BrickShelf maintenance and upkeep fund? I know we can do better than the pennies-per-click ads...and I don’t have all night to sit here clicking the banners. :)

Do NOT click on the ads just for the sake of increasing cluck-through counts. Google considers those “fraudulent” clicks and even the suspicion of that will cause us to loose ad revenue.

While I don’t think fundrasing drives are a viable long-term option (we need somewhat reliable monthly cashflow), we certainly will not turn away impromptu sponsors!

If you would like to help sponsor Brickshelf, you can send a check or money order to:

Brickshelf LLC 2307 Gore Drive Haymarket, VA 20169

If you include your Brickshelf user-id (the number to the right of your Username when viewing your folders), I will add a sponsor icon next to your username. The sponsor status will be good through the end of the year.

Kevin Loch