 General / 50990
Re: The pseudo-intellectual ramblings of a cool-guy wanna-be.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 16:19:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   I think Pop Surrealism might be a good label for it - if for no other reason than the example of the artists that you linked to. But I think one of the key parts of this new LEGO Art is using the medium of LEGO (brightly colored children’s building blocks) to rebuild the bizarre and sometimes dark side of reality. An example of this might be at the link above. There is a picture of Mr.Ham, a robot made out of LEGO, smoking a bong. While I’m not going to say that drug use is good or bad, but it certainly isn’t the high point of our civilization.

Sure it is. If it’s not a *high* point for Ham, he’s using the bong incorrectly.(1)

   I think the picture is outrageously funny, and I think the humor comes from the odd juxtaposition. Using LEGO (a child’s toy) to make a robot (a technological wonder) who spends his time smoking (not a very galant use of time).

There isn’t any grand message there, but that is part of the point. Art doesn’t have to be about the big things in life. I think that Art shouldn’t be about the big things - by doing that, we make Art too big for our ordinary lives. And Felix made the point all too well, Art is around us all the time. Humans have a propensity to surround themselves with Art constantly, from commercials to cleverly colored cell phones. I might call this “art” (lower case a) because it isn’t trying to make any point at all, but it is still art. I think the style of the “popular” - the language of imagery that is common to the ordinary person - is the most potent ones available to an artist today.

I see a number of LEGO Artists around who do similiar sort of work. Work that draws the line between sculpture and something else - that focuses on both the ordinary and the extraordinary (Space Monkey smoking a cigar is a great example) and just touches on the humorous. A lot of what could be qualified as this ‘New LEGO Art’, most people (including the artists) would say isn’t actually Art. But I think they’d say that because it doesn’t have the quality of pretention and false depth that most people attribute to Art.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. If a piece does the things that art is supposed to do (instill emotion, make one think, make one wonder) it’s art.

   I’m really glad you wrote this post Felix because it has started me considering the artistic movement that I have suddenly found myself in the midst of. I think this is very exciting, and I’m interested in what new directions this could take.

I think may have heard me and others expound that LEGO is a medium, just like clay or oils or pastelchalks, it’s fun to explore the limits of the medium. One of the greatest things about Micro and about Vignettes are that they both (in different ways) impose additional constraints beyond what we normally deal with... (2)

Great thread. Felix is on a roll! Maybe that’s his role?

++Lar

1 - you know I had to do it!

2 - conversely this is why I’m down on 8 wide and on Miniland scale (if only in fun)... they both lift the limits that others deal with, and in a sense, are a cheat. (not that it’s wrong, if it feels good, do it...)