 Off-Topic / Debate / 26991
Re: what is ALE?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 17:54:43 GMT

Hello!

I don't care if either is "easier" to pronounce--no one I know "pronounces"
[ETA,] [RSVP,] or [USA.]  "AFOL" is an abbreviation, not an acronym.

I say "eta" (That's a terror organization in the Spanish Basque region.) or
E-T-A (meaning "estimated time of arrival"), R-S-V-P (what the heck is it?) and
U-S-A. But I say "afol" and "mock" and "burp" because:

unlike the
other initialisms you mention, AFOL when spelled quickly sounds more like a
word (ayafoal) than a string of letters.

Or does anybody say B-U-R-P to a BURP? Or S-N-O-T to SNOT?

So, from now on, I'll be introducing my passion this way: "I'm an adult LEGO
enthusiast"

When discribing my hobby to non-LEGO-fans I usually say "I build with LEGO."
Telling them any Acronym wouldn't help them much. And they often see for
themselves that I am an adult.

IMO (also an abbreviation rather than an acronym!), to call oneself an
"enthusiast" is to make oneself sound hopelessly effete and snobbish.

That's what I think, too.
Also, in German "enthusiast" is considered a "foreign word" (dunno how the
situation is in English), not everybody is able to spell it correctly, many
people don't know what it means or don't even know the word at all. Words like
this are merely used by advanced users of language (AUOLs).

How I understand it: An enthusiast is somebody who gets always glistering eyes
when speaking about his hobby. - That's truely not the case with me, so I am not
an enthusiast. Therefore "ALE" wouldn't apply to me at all. I am an adult friend
of LEGO (LEGO the bricks, not LEGO the company). That's best aconym-ed in
"AFOL".

Bye
Jojo